Arlington County Board Internship
Position: Arlington County Board Internship
Work location: Arlington County Board Office
Description: This is an unpaid internship position that will begin between May 21st – June 12th for the Arlington County High School Senior Experience. Students who are eligible to participant in the Arlington County High School Senior Experience Program are eligible to submit a resume and supporting documents such as a letter of recommendation and/or cover letter.
Arlington County is an exciting, innovative local government entity located in Northern Virginia. We are seeking a bright, highly motivated high school senior who is an active participant in the Senior Experience Program. The position offers an opportunity to a qualified individual with little or no previous professional work experience helping them prepare for the professional world. This Internship will offer a high school senior in-depth, hands-on learning opportunities in areas critical to supporting a local government structure and the Arlington County Board Office.
Over the course of three weeks, the Intern will work under the supervision of senior staff members to gain valuable on-the-job training and real-world work experience. They will support the County Board Office while becoming familiar with the public sector work environment as a viable and fulfilling work experience.
If you are interested, please submit your resume and letter of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application open for submission on February 23th.
Deadline: March 9th.
- Demonstrate the highest level of professionalism.
- Arrive on time for designated work and notify the office of any deviations from the established schedule.
- Dress in professional attire or business casual wear.
- Communicate effectively with the supervisor and other staff within the organization.
- Communicate with the supervisor and/or staff any issues that may affect your performance of assigned responsibilities or the overall success of the experience.
To be discussed.
- Administrative responsibilities such as record retention management, greeting Board Office guests, etc.
- Hands-on experience with constituent communication.
- Attend a Board Meeting and help out behind the scenes providing the Board and staff with assistance.
- Staff shadowing. (The Intern will shadow each staff person.)
- The Intern will also take notes during each task or assignment as the information will be helpful during the creation of the student’s final project.
The intern will have a final project to submit at the end of the program.