Adopted June 16, 2015
The County Board is interested in achieving the transformation of the Ballston Common Mall into Ballston Quarter. Therefore, the County Board directs the County Manager to review and analyze Forest City’s request to enter into a public-private partnership to ensure that the proposed redevelopment project is consistent with the County’s planning objectives for Ballston and appropriately balances County goals of enhanced economic and place-making benefits with private sector economic feasibility requirements.
The Manager shall report the results to the Board, including an outline of a possible agreement, within the next 30 days.
- The outline of a public-private partnership agreement with Forest City Enterprises for the redevelopment of the Ballston Common Mall property shall address the following elements, among others:
- Economic and place-making benefits to the County
- The range of land use incentives (e.g. density, height, and modifications to parking ratios), that could be used in combination to achieve the mixed-use, redevelopment vision for the Ballston Common Mall site.
- Strategic and measured use of public investment and financing tools in order to achieve the optimal economic and place-making benefits to the County of this redevelopment project.
The County Board further directs the County Manager:
- To ensure that a meeting is promptly convened between County staff, adjoining civic association representatives and planning commission members for a preliminary conversation on the proposal.
- To begin a complete and thorough, but also efficient, site plan review process that results in a world-class redevelopment project that reflects the shared goals of the Arlington community and the property owner. Due to the unique timing needs of this challenging redevelopment proposal, all recommendations should be provided so that the County Board can consider the proposed redevelopment by the end of calendar year 2015.