Member, Arlington County Board
Christian Dorsey was elected to the Arlington County Board in November, 2015. Christian represents Arlington on the boards of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) and the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments. Additionally, he serves as one of three Arlington commissioners of The Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (NVTC).
Christian has spent substantial periods of his career working to improve our community. He had the privilege of serving as executive director of The Reading Connection, promoting literacy development for children facing housing insecurity. He also led the Bonder and Amanda Johnson Community Development Corporation, which provided essential community services and jump-started a moderate-income housing development in the Nauck neighborhood.
Equally rewarding have been the many opportunities that Christian has had to serve our Arlington community as a volunteer, which have included serving on the boards of directors of the Arlington Free Clinic, A-SPAN, Leadership Center for Excellence, and Arlington Independent Media, and serving on County Board advisory commissions (Tenant-Landlord, chairman; Planning, member).
Professionally, Christian is a senior leader at the Economic Policy Institute, a think tank that promotes economic policies that foster broadly shared prosperity. Christian is also a diversity and communications consultant and has helped many colleges and universities, schools, community groups, non-governmental organizations and area government agencies become more aware of the impact of unintentional bias in their work.
Christian has lived in Arlington for over twenty years, and he and his wife, Rachael, are proud parents of Jordan, an Arlington Public Schools third-grader, and Mila, who will soon be attending APS. Christian and family live in the Columbia Forest neighborhood.
Arlington County Public Schools and Government Service:
- Planning Commission 2007 – 2011
- Tenant-Landlord Commission Past Chairman – 2000-2007
- APS Facilities Advisory Committee 2013-2015
Organization and Community Service:
- A-SPAN Past Board Member
- African American Leadership Council Founding Member
- Arlington Cable Access Corporation Past Board Member
- Arlington Committee of 100 Member and past Chairman
- Arlington Free Clinic Past Board Member
- Arlington New Directions Coalition Past Board Member
- Arlington School Bonds Committee Co-Chair, 2008
- Arlington United Way Campaign Chair – 2007-2009
- Close Up Foundation Seminar Lecturer on Economic Policy
- Leadership Center for Excellence Member and Board Regent
- Operation Understanding DC Past Board Member
- Leadership Greater Washington Member
- Urban Alternatives Foundation Past Board Member