Vice Chair, Arlington County Board
Christian Dorsey was elected to the Arlington County Board in 2015 and currently serves as its Vice-Chair. Christian represents Arlington on the board of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) and is Vice-Chair of its Finance and Budget Committee. Additionally, Mr. Dorsey serves as one of three Arlington commissioners on The Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (NVTC). On June 22, 2018, the NVTC appointed Christian one of Virginia’s two principal members on the WMATA board.
Christian is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (COG), and a member of the Transportation Planning Board (TPB).
Outside of public service, Mr. Dorsey engages as a policy and communications consultant supporting progressive organizations in realizing their missions.
Prior to joining the Board, Christian was a senior leader at the Economic Policy Institute, a think tank that promotes economic policies that foster broadly shared prosperity. Throughout his career, Mr. Dorsey has always been committed to improving the Arlington community. He had the privilege of serving as executive director of The Reading Connection, promoting literacy development for children facing housing insecurity. He also led the Bonder and Amanda Johnson Community Development Corporation, which provided essential community services and jump-started a moderate-income housing development in the Nauck neighborhood.
Equally rewarding have been the many opportunities that Christian has had to serve our Arlington community as a volunteer, which have included serving on the boards of directors of the Arlington Free Clinic, A-SPAN, Leadership Center for Excellence, and Arlington Independent Media, and serving on County Board advisory commissions (Tenant-Landlord, chairman; Planning, member).
Christian has lived in Arlington for nearly twenty-five years, and he and his wife, Rachael, are proud parents of Jordan and Mila, who attend Arlington Public Schools. Christian and family reside in the Columbia Forest neighborhood.
Arlington County Public Schools and Government Service:
- Planning Commission 2007 – 2011
- Tenant-Landlord Commission Past Chairman – 2000-2007
- APS Facilities Advisory Committee 2013-2015
Organization and Community Service:
- A-SPAN Past Board Member
- African American Leadership Council Founding Member
- Arlington Cable Access Corporation Past Board Member
- Arlington Committee of 100 Member and past Chairman
- Arlington Free Clinic Past Board Member
- Arlington New Directions Coalition Past Board Member
- Arlington School Bonds Committee Co-Chair, 2008
- Arlington United Way Campaign Chair – 2007-2009
- Close Up Foundation Seminar Lecturer on Economic Policy
- Leadership Center for Excellence Member and Board Regent
- Operation Understanding DC Past Board Member
- Leadership Greater Washington Member
- Urban Alternatives Foundation Past Board Member