Arlington County Board Member
Christian Dorsey was first elected to the Arlington County Board in 2015 and is now serving his second term. He served as Chair in 2019. Christian represents Northern Virginia jurisdictions as a principal member on the board of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). Mr. Dorsey also serves as one of three Arlington commissioners on The Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (NVTC).
Christian has represented Arlington on the Board of Directors of the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (COG) since 2016. In 2018, Mr. Dorsey serves as Arlington’s Member on the Transportation Planning Board (TPB).
Outside of public service, Mr. Dorsey engages as a policy and communications consultant supporting progressive organizations in realizing their missions. Prior to joining the Board, Christian was a senior leader at the Economic Policy Institute, a think tank that promotes economic policies that foster broadly shared prosperity.
Throughout his career, Mr. Dorsey has been committed to improving the Arlington community. He had the privilege of serving as executive director of The Reading Connection, promoting literacy development for children facing housing insecurity. He also led the Bonder and Amanda Johnson Community Development Corporation, which provided essential community services and jump-started a moderate-income housing development in the Green Valley neighborhood.
Equally rewarding have been the many opportunities that Christian has had to serve our Arlington community as a volunteer, which have included serving on the boards of directors of the Arlington Free Clinic, A-SPAN, Leadership Center for Excellence, and Arlington Independent Media, and serving on County Board advisory commissions (Tenant-Landlord, chairman; Planning, member).
Christian has been a proud Arlingtonian for twenty-five years. He and his wife, Rachael, live in the Columbia Forest neighborhood and have two children in Arlington Public Schools.
Arlington County Public Schools and Government Service:
- Planning Commission 2007 – 2011
- Tenant-Landlord Commission Past Chairman – 2000-2007
- APS Facilities Advisory Committee 2013-2015
Organization and Community Service:
- A-SPAN Past Board Member
- African American Leadership Council Founding Member
- Arlington Cable Access Corporation Past Board Member
- Arlington Committee of 100 Member and past Chairman
- Arlington Free Clinic Past Board Member
- Arlington New Directions Coalition Past Board Member
- Arlington School Bonds Committee Co-Chair, 2008
- Arlington United Way Campaign Chair – 2007-2009
- Close Up Foundation Seminar Lecturer on Economic Policy
- Leadership Center for Excellence Member and Board Regent
- Operation Understanding DC Past Board Member
- Leadership Greater Washington Member
- Urban Alternatives Foundation Past Board Member