Overview of the Problem to Solve
Arlington County has a Vision Statement adopted by the County Board. This Vision Statement is further supported and described through various priorities, policies, goals, and objectives within the County’s Comprehensive Plan, also adopted by the County Board, which includes the following fourteen elements:
- Affordable Housing Master Plan
- Chesapeake Bay Preservation Plan and Ordinance
- Community Energy Plan
- General Land Use Plan
- Historic Preservation Master Plan
- Master Transportation Plan
- Public Spaces Master Plan
- Urban Forest Master Plan
- Public Art Master Plan
- Natural Resources Management Plan
- Recycling Program Implementation Plan | Map
- Sanitary Sewer System Master Plan
- Stormwater Master Plan
- Water Distribution Master Plan
In addition to the Comprehensive Plan, there are also various neighborhood and place-specific studies and plans, issue specific plans, and resolutions of the County Board that further support the County’s overall vision. These plans and priorities are effectuated through decisions made annually in adopting the operating budget and biennially in adopting the capital budget.
Each of the Comprehensive Plan elements has included a public process and the reports are publicly available, yet this content spans thousands of pages and a multitude of subjects. Consequently the number of documents sometimes may make it difficult for stakeholders who may not have been involved in a particular element’s process, or who want a clear understanding of Arlington’s overall goals and priorities, to get the information they need.
The County Board desires to make clear the current strategic priorities of the Board as expressed in the current documents. To understand better what is in those documents, the Board requests that Staff:
- Review a summary of policy goals and objectives from the governing documents we have.
- Offer recommendations for how Arlington County can best:
- Select, organize and present essential governing documents and language on the County website to be accessible and fully searchable to our diverse community to make clear the Board’s goals and priorities;
- Provide the broader community with a clear understanding of the framework by which strategic priorities have been determined, how they relate to our vision and goals and how they are reflected in our operating and capital budget processes with concise language and/or graphics, and
- Provide a clear way to measure effectiveness of the Board’s priorities in realizing the Board’s goals, and
- Communicate as progress is made toward meeting our goals.
The County Manager will form an interdepartmental staff team to conduct an integrated review of Arlington’s statements of policy goals and objectives, included in: Arlington’s Comprehensive Plan, including the goals and objectives from the Plan’s Executive Summary and each of the eleven Plan elements and associated sub elements; and other supporting documents as appropriate, including, but not limited to:
- The County Vision Statement,
- The adopted FY 2017 County Budget,
- The update to the County’s current ten-year (FY 2017-26) Capital Improvement Plan,
- The Community Facilities Study report;
- County Board Policies and Resolutions; and
- County Department strategic plans
The summary of this integrated review and recommendations will be provided by Spring of 2017.